Capital One Manager, Cybersecurity and Technology Oversight – Cyber Risk Management in McLean, Virginia
McLean 2 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Manager, Cybersecurity and Technology Oversight – Cyber Risk Management
Job Description: Manager, Cybersecurity and Technology Oversight – Cyber Risk Management
Cyber Risk Management, a component of Enterprise and Operational Risk Management
(EORM) within Capital One, is a growing organization focused on providing expert advice,
credible challenge, and effective oversight of information security and technology activities to
identify, assess, control, and manage cyber and technology risk throughout the company. This
organization plays a critical role in helping to ensure that the company’s risk taking entities are
aware of the risks inherent in their activities and decisions, the impact of their actions on the
company at an enterprise level, and opportunities to reduce, mitigate, or avoid risks altogether.
Associates within the Cyber Risk Management organization are highly-skilled information
security, cyber, technology, or risk management professionals who have a wealth of experience
and a demonstrated ability to provide value-added recommendations and deliver high-impact
results in their areas of expertise.
This position – Manager, Cybersecurity and Technology Risk Oversight – will play a key
role in assessing Capital One’s cybersecurity and technology capability maturity by maintaining
and updating maturity models, providing technical expertise during capability maturity reviews,
preparing independent assessments of maturity levels, and drafting reports for senior
management. As part of the second line of defense, you will collaborate closely with associates
in Cyber, Technology, the Lines of Business, and other risk management offices to perform and
support evaluations of the firm’s cyber capability maturity levels and offer independent advice
and recommendations regarding ways to further mature the firm’s cyber and risk management
In addition, you will serve as the lead within the Cyber Risk Management organization for
providing second line, independent oversight of the firm’s cybersecurity and technology risk
education, training, and awareness programs. You will be responsible for reviewing and
challenging the programs’ objectives, effectiveness, coverage, and results.
As a member of a growing organization, you will have the opportunity to shape and further
refine your portfolio commensurate with the priorities of the organization. The position affords
opportunities for substantial growth. The demands and high-visibility nature of this position
require an expert with a proven ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and
who can begin contributing immediately.
Essential Functions (Responsibilities):
● As part of a team, conduct independent evaluations of cybersecurity and technology
capabilities, and provide expertise and advice on accelerating maturity cyber capabilities.
● Provide technical assessments of cybersecurity and technology capabilities.
● Draft maturity assessments and reports for senior management and other stakeholders..
● Conduct strategic reviews and independent validation of cybersecurity education, training,
and awareness programs.
● Stay current on emerging cyber and technology threats and potential implications.
● Collaborate effectively with colleagues, stakeholders, and leaders across multiple
organizations to achieve objectives.
● Coordinate program-related activities and deliverables to ensure effective collaboration
within the team and across stakeholder groups.
● Be willing and able to adapt to a rapidly changing organization
● A bachelor’s degree or military experience
● At least 2 years experience in implementing and measuring maturity with the NIST
Cybersecurity Framework OR COBIT v5, FFIEC Cyber Assessment Tool
● At least 5 years of experience managing, consulting, auditing, or working in the fields of
information security, technology, or risk management
● At least 2 years of experience developing, evaluating, or implementing cybersecurity OR
technology capability maturity models
● At least 1 year of experience with cybersecurity and technology policies and the policy exceptions review process
● At least 1 year of experience overseeing, administering, or developing content for cybersecurity awareness, education, and training programs
● Professional security management certification: AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) or Certified
Information Security Manager (CISM)
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● At least 1 year experience with technology that leverages AWS/Microsoft Azure/GCP
● Ability to find ways to optimize our work through automation
● Ability to communicate clearly and to interact effectively at all levels of the organization, and
to influence as warranted and appropriate
● Passion and expertise in cybersecurity, with an ability to be confident, respectful, and
articulate when registering dissenting or unpopular opinions
● Ability to manage multiple projects while maintaining superior results
● Ability to work cross-functionally, individually, and to lead work among a team
● Execution oriented and a self-motivator
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.