Capital One Senior Manager, Senior Counsel, Regulatory Advisory in McLean, Virginia
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Manager, Senior Counsel, Regulatory Advisory
Capital One is seeking a financial services regulatory attorney to join its Legal Department. In this role, you would analyze prudential laws and regulations applicable to bank holding companies and national banks, advise the company regarding the impact of proposed and new regulations, interact with regulators, and work with associates across multiple functional areas of the company. This candidate should demonstrate substantive expertise in federal financial regulation, have the ability to work in teams or independently, and have excellent communication skills. This position reports to the Senior Director, Associate General Counsel responsible for corporate regulatory matters.
• Provides timely, accurate and actionable legal advice on a wide array of federal bank regulatory statutes and regulations, including the Bank Holding Company Act, the National Bank Act, and the Dodd-Frank Act governing the company’s businesses and operations
• Develops deep expertise in select prudential subject matter areas
• Partners with transactional and business teams to assess corporate regulatory issues in connection with proposed new products and services, as well as corporate acquisitions and investments
• Coordinates with colleagues in the Legal Department and Policy Affairs Group to analyze proposed regulations and legislation and to develop and advance advocacy strategies, including drafting background documents and comment letters
• Engages with industry trade associations to ensure Capital One’s priorities are reflected in trade association efforts
• Supports Compliance Department and Business Risk Office in implementing new regulations and laws
• Provides legal support for corporate-wide special projects where federal financial regulation is a key consideration
• Engages and manages outside counsel
Basic Qualifications :
• JD and member in good standing of at least one state bar
• At least 5 years of experience in a law firm or at least 5 years of experience in an in-house legal department or at least 5 years of experience in a trade association or at least 5 years of experience in a federal regulatory agency
Preferred Qualifications :
• Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret legislation and regulations
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, take on new responsibilities, and prioritize work to meet deadlines
• Strong writing and communication skills to deal with internal and external parties, including ability to communicate persuasively orally and in writing
• Ability to work effectively both in teams and independently
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.