Capital One Principal Data Engineer in Vienna, Virginia
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Data Engineer
Are you passionate about using data and technology to solve Enterprise-scale problems? Do you enjoy solving complex problems with open source technologies in a fast-paced, collaborative, and iterative delivery environment?
As a Capital One Principal Data Engineer you’ll be at the center of some of our most data-intensive work so if you’re interested in big data challenges read on. You’ll manage a team utilizing cutting-edge big data solutions and open source frameworks implemented in the cloud. Processing large data volumes is a daily activity in this group and you’ll be working with various technologies: Java, NoSQL databases, Spark, relational databases, Hadoop, Machine Learning, API Development and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
The right candidate is someone who is passionate about data-driven technologies but also passionate about leading and mentoring a great group of engineers. We're looking for someone who welcomes challenges and is hyper-focused on delivering exceptional results to internal business customers while creating a rewarding team environment.
• Work across Technology to ensure effective data risk processes exist for Technology-owned data sources
• Define and lead the frameworks for compliance with data management standards for emerging technologies (streaming platforms, cloud integration, etc.)
• Determining readiness of new big/fast data capabilities to be used to support critical operational processes
• Overall accountability for ensuring teams adopt established data management frameworks to prevent data lakes from becoming data swamps
• Build and lead high-performing, agile teams focused on Data Engineering
• Be part of a core team leading migration to new data technologies for unstructured, streaming and high volume data
• Provide senior level technical consulting to application development teams during application design and development for highly complex or critical projects
• Provide oversight for budgets and project plans, and manage technology risks and issues
• You geek out over obscure sports statistics. You ponder what drove your streaming music service’s algorithms to accurately predict that you’d like the song you’re listening to. Nate Silver asks you who’s going to win the next election. You love data
• You get a thrill out of using large data sets, some of them slightly messy, to answer real-world questions
• You yearn to be a part of cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule
• You are passionate about finding refined solutions to complex coding challenges and helping the entire team meet its commitments
• Humor and fun are a natural part of who you are
#ilovedata #bigdata #transforminganalytics
• Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
• At least 5 years of experience in Data Engineering Practices
• At least 7 of coding in data environments
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Management of Info Systems/Technology
• Experience with data technologies such as Hadoop, Python, Hive, Tableau, etc.
• Background in agile SW development and Scaled Agile Frameworks
• 5 years of experience in Financial Industry
• Financial Services/Card industry experience
• PMP, MBA, ITIL, Six Sigma, Lean, Agile
• 10 Years of experience in Data Management Practices
• 5 Years of experience defining data architectures
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.